Friday, September 5, 2008

First Official Clicker Lesson


Although I've been clicking Bo on our walks, I hadn't formally introduced him to the clicker game before tonight. After dinner, I went out to the barn armed with a bag of cut up carrot pieces and a target, a dog toy from my border collie's toy box. I had decided that tonight's lesson would be targeting, the typical beginning clicker training lesson.


The lesson started very well. He was touching the target within just a couple of tries, and he was keen to get his treat. As a matter of fact, a bit too keen. He knew where those treats were coming from and decided to cut out the middle man (the target), and was vigorously mugging. Although this is not as big a problem with a 300-pound horse as it is with a 1000-pound one, a horse is a horse is a horse, and he must be treated as such. So, as is very common, the original lesson plan of targeting quickly morphed into a no mugging lesson.


Did I mention that Bo is a bright little button? Ordinary intelligence in a horse works well with clicker training, but the really bright ones are so rewarding for the trainer. And Bo is one of those bright bulbs. To stop the mugging, I put my body in a neutral position, with my arms crossed across my chest and I waited. At first I waited for Bo to simply turn his nose away from my body and the treat bag -- click/reward. Before long, I was able to also wait for quiet feet (he paws a lot when frustrated) as well as quiet head (head tosses are another way of venting). I realized he was very much cuing into my body position of arms crossed, and he was quickly adopting the standing still with his head in front to earn his treat. You see what I mean about the bright ones rewarding the trainer?


Additionally, I threw in a little "walk by my side" request, as well as step backwards when I do, both of which he picked right up.


I finished up then and gave him his night hay. I hope he'll munch hay and let his clicker lessons percolate. I'm looking forward to a couple more formal clicker lessons tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.
Cheers!

No comments: